Saturday, February 13, 2016

Knock-knock. Anybody home?

I am sitting in my office, amid a pile of shredding-to-do, recycling sorted, a box of things to head to the thrift store donation center, and a box of supplies to take to school. Deep in the clutterpurging hell, I have yet to turn a corner, but I know that will happen, with sustained effort.

February always finds me with renewed optimism. The temperatures outside may be cold, bitterly so, but the dark time of the year has been survived, once more, and I'm forging ahead with plans for spring, home improvement, yardening, summer travel, and all kinds of projects.

I have not blogged in over a year, I think. I still read blogs, but my main muse, these days, is Instagram, whose brief peeks into the lives of others pleases me. Facebook is a mire of political scuffle, reposts and addictive clickbait that just exhausts me. I seriously am considering a media fast, now that we've tipped over into both the pagan and Christian lenten season.

Events that did not get blogged last year:

1. I won a fleece in a raffle, processed it by myself at home, and spun it up. YouTube, helpful advice from experienced friends, and my own can-do spirit were instrumental in this project.

2. P and I went to Switzerland, Germany, and France in July for 10 days. Wonderful, expensive, and exhausting. Travel changes one's perspective, each trip layers another worldview onto my existing one, and I am grateful for the opportunity to get out of my box, periodically.

3. I took a solo roadtrip in June, driving up to VA for a week with my mother, and then on to visit dear friends in Richmond, Goochland, and DC. Ended the trip with several days spent with my sister, doing sisterly things.

4. I started running; using the app C25k, and actually ran in an 5k fun run this fall! I found out I love running, and even when it's hard, it makes me feel great.

5. While blowing leaves off my house this fall, I fell through the patio roof, fell 8 feet, landed on my elbow, and sprained my shoulder, tearing my left rotator cuff. An awful, painful injury, and one that I thought would require a surgery, but 2 months of physical therapy, after a month of rest and recuperation, and I'm close to normal again. I can do yoga, now, and am starting back with my runs.

6. I continue to celebrate the pagan sabbats with a local druid group, and am really enjoying learning about that path. Is it mine? Time will tell.

7. I'm spending this year buying NO new clothing, and NO yarn or spinning fiber, in an attempt to corral my consumerism. Doing a little bit of KonMari to my house; the process is slowslowslow and painful, but a healthy change.

There. That's the update. I hope to be back here more in 2016.








1 comment:

  1. Ooh, the testing comment went through. Guess it just didn't like my iPhone comment. I applaud your efforts to buy no yarn or fiber. I love the Marie Kondo method, but she needs a chapter to address crafters!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a leaf! Plant a seed!